Thursday 27 May 2010

Sunday 23rd May

I awoke with a cough and sore throat. Oh dear will I be able to make this evening's event?

We telephoned another participant in the sponsored swim to enquire if he was still up for the challenge. It was arranged we would meet him at the leisure centre at 4.45pm.

We then telephoned two other participants and arranged to collect them to take them to the leisure centre at 4.30pm.

I was anxious, worried and nervous as to how the event would go. I had got myself a bit worked up as I hate being late but I needn't have worried as I got there in plenty of time.

I was asked if we wanted lane ropes put in. Knowing how long these can take to put in to a swimming pool, I decided not to take this course of action.

As soon as we could enter the pool I went done the sloping steps and swam over the far side of the pool.

It was then the challenge began. 80 lengths of the pool = 1 mile and that was the challenge I had set myself.

My wonderful husband was assisting with the administration of the event as he preferred this course of action. He also looked after the sponsorship money I had already been able to collect prior to the event.

I was lucky as I had wonderful support during the swim from a swimming buddy that I attend the adult only sessions with on a Sunday night. We had planed that at 40 lengths we would have an energy drink. He had bought these for us both. As we headed towards the shallow end we shouted for the drinks to save some time. We had some sips and set off again.

My energy drink was in a silver can with a blue label a log in red and yellow and is described in two words written in red writing. This made the assessment team laugh.

I was so thrilled to be able to complete the full distance in a hour and 10 minutes.

I am proud of my achievement and hope I will be involved with future events.

Best wishes

Fee

No comments:

Post a Comment