Tuesday 14 December 2010

Kelloggs Aquatic Champion

I am now classed as a Kelloggs Aquatic Champion having undertaken the training.

The training was 3 hours long and was very interesting. Having already set up a swimming group away from public pool sessions to help boost confidence of those concerned, I had an inkling into what was required.

This means a lot of research, working out reasons why people don't swim and see if anything can be done to solve the problems.

It may just be one small thing or it could be lots of different ones.

This means getting out and about and speaking to people or visiting support groups to gain knowledge of people's problems.

Once a list of problems or reasons is made then it is a matter of finding out what can be done to help solve them.

It may be a matter of funding, location, or simply a matter of not knowing what is available.

An example of this was myself in 2008. All it took for me to go swimming was knowing that there was a changing room with a shower and a lockable door so that I could change away from prying eyes.

Now my condition doesn't bother me but in the early stages of recovery it certainly did.

That is why I set up Swimming After Surgery (SAS). Initially this is aimed at women who have had breast surgery. The reason the name is generalised is so that I can try and help other groups gain access to swimming following surgery.

I love swimming and being in the water means I feel no pain as there is no gravity. I feel happier as swimming is a natural anti-depressant as any exercise produces endorphines.

No comments:

Post a Comment